Will be updated as time goes by. Not forever, but at least as long as it seems that the usual sketchy goings-on in the Bitcoin world are moving at a rather accelerated pace – which they have been over the last two weeks.
So I’d like to keep track. Because the press probably won’t. (Note: one small online media outlet, to their great credit, is.)
Rated 1-5 rather like the Fujita Scale. I call it the Marmotoshi Nakaburrow Scale.
THE MARMOTOSHI SCALE OF BITCOIN DRAMA
With worked examples
Category 1: “Had better things to do”
Category 2: Unquestionably hacked
Category 3: “Hacked”
- BTer (7,000+ Bitcoin lost)
- MyCoin (Unknown amount of Bitcoin lost) (looks ugly)
- Kipcoin (3,000+ Bitcoin lost)
- BTCXChange (no losses recorded)
- HitBTC, Exco.in
Category 4: Protocol death
- Cancellation of Reddit’s cryptocurrency initiative
Category 5: Global crypto cataclysm
- World-ending disaster e.g. ECDSA turns out to be a figment of everyone’s imagination, or Eris Industries changes its mascot to a prairie dog instead of a marmot, or some other circumstance that our feeble mortal minds cannot even comprehend.
Hit me up on Twitter if I’ve missed anything.